by Simon Lord
last updated 22/09/2019
SUPPORT KIT for franchisees hit by disaster
by Simon Lord
last updated 22/09/2019
The kit contains tips, strategies and practical guidelines for providing two important types of support – business and psychological. Business support is needed to assist franchisees assess their current situation, create a plan of action to minimise the commercial damage to their business and, if possible, rebuild. Emotional support is just as important. Originally produced to assist those affected by the Queensland floods, the kit includes advice based on psychological research on the best ways to help people affected by traumatic events and also things to avoid.
‘For many franchisees, their business is not just a source of livelihood; it is a source of pride and a source of meaning and purpose,’ sayss Greg Nathan of the FRI. ‘Many franchisees have literally invested their life savings and made significant sacrifices to build their businesses over a period of years with the hope that one day they will be able to retire comfortably. So the sense of shock, heartbreak and loss is understandable when a franchisee’s business is seriously damaged by a sudden act of nature, such as a flood, that is beyond anyone’s control.’
‘Unfortunately, despite the best will in the world, some of these businesses will not fully recover. This may be due to the extent of the damage to the business, the emotional impact on the franchisee and their family, or a mixture of both. The first part of the healing process will involve the franchisee coming to terms with this sudden change in their business and life situation. The next part of the process will be the franchisor and franchisee taking stock of whether reopening the business in its current form is a realistic and viable option. And, if so, starting the rebuilding process.’
‘The kit provides a practical reference point for franchisor executives, field managers, friends and colleagues to use in helping those affected to work through a number of important issues and find a way forward.’
The Franchisee Support Kit can be downloaded free here.
Other New Zealand sources of information and assistance
Response Information & Essential Services
Environment Canterbury http://canterburyearthquake.org.nz/
eq.org - Local reports on road closures, food shops, petrol and requests for help http://eq.org.nz/
Wellbeing Support Services
- The Ministry of Social Development's main web page for helping those affected by the earthquake. It includes where to go if you need urgent emergency assistance.
- Information and checklists from the Department of Labour designed to get your business back up and running safely.
- Includes links to information about financial assistance you and your family may qualify for and information about the earthquake income support subsidy.
The IRD has promised to take a flexible approach to quake-hit individuals and families.
- Information for property owners interested in offering accommodation, or Canterbury residents needing temporary accommodation.
- Factsheets to help you, your family and community understand common emotional reactions to the earthquake and learn positive ways of coping.
- Advice from the Ministry of Education Traumatic incident information and advice for schools following the Canterbury earthquake, share these tips with parents, whānau and your school community.
- Support fact sheets developed by Massey University are available for download in either PDF or MS Word format.
Westpac is New Zealand's most experienced bank in franchising and the only bank offering dedicated franchise only specialist managers throughout the...
Sales and distribution of NZ made and owned beverage products. Seeking energetic entrepreneurial people who want to own a profitable and exciting...
Oncore is New Zealand's leading team for residential and commercial repairs, maintenance, insurance work, installations and decorating. We are looking...
Enjoy true passive income with a Speed Queen self-serve laundromat. With our turnkey service, you’ll be up and running in your own profitable business...