directory | advisors | by service | lawyers
STEWART GERMANN LAW OFFICE
advertiser info: franchise business opportunity
|service lawyers||area serviced new zealand & international||FANZ member yes|
|contact Stewart Germann
p 0-9-308 9925 m 021 276 9898
|telephone||find out more|
|area serviced||new zealand & international|
Lawyers and Notary Public. Multi-award-winning specialist franchise law firm with over 35 years’ franchising and licensing experience. Stewart Germann Law Office is the longest established franchise law firm in New Zealand. SGL provides legal advice to franchisors on structure and initial documentation and to franchisees on franchise agreements. Selected as Best Lawyers in New Zealand – Franchise for 2017/2018. Winner of Boutique Franchise Law Firm of the Year in New Zealand - 2017 Corporate International Global Awards. Stewart Germann is past Chairman of the Franchise Association of New Zealand (FANZ). He has been guest speaker at franchising conferences in New Zealand, Australia and USA and is included in the International Who's Who of Franchise Lawyers. The Firm belongs to the Franchise Association of New Zealand, the Franchise Council of Australia and the NZ Law Society.
Stewart Germann Law Office (SGL) is a specialist boutique law firm with over 35 years of franchising and licensing experience. SGL acts for franchisors and franchisees from all over New Zealand and has wide contacts in New Zealand, Australia, UK, Canada and USA.
- Winner of BOUTIQUE FRANCHISE LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR IN NEW ZEALAND - 2017 Corporate INTL Global Awards
- Selected as BEST LAWYERS IN NEW ZEALAND – FRANCHISE LAW for 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Winner of LAWYER INTERNATIONAL – LEGAL 100 – LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR – FRANCHISE – NZ 2016 and 2017
- Winner of GLOBAL 100 - LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR - FRANCHISE - NEW ZEALAND 2015 AND 2016
- Winner of 2015 GLOBAL LAW EXPERTS - BOUTIQUE FRANCHISING LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR IN NEW ZEALAND
- Winner of 2015 GLOBAL LAW EXPERTS - BOUTIQUE LICENSING LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR IN NEW ZEALAND
- Winner of the LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR – FRANCHISE - NEW ZEALAND in the 2013 DealMakers Awards
- Winner of the 2012 FRANCHISE LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR FOR NEW ZEALAND in the DealMakers End of Year Annual Awards
- Selected as leading lawyers in ASIA IP EXPERTS - LICENSING AND FRANCHISING 2016
- Winner of BOUTIQUE LICENSING LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR IN NEW ZEALAND - 2016 Corporate INTL Global Awards
SGL has expertise in the following areas:
- Commercial law including drafting agreements which cover a wide range of commercial topics, restrictive trade practices and financing
- Sale and purchase of residential and commercial properties
- Leasing and subleasing
- Company law including the formation of companies, overseas companies, drafting of Shareholders' Agreements and related documents
- Trusts including the formation and administration of family trusts and trading trusts
In relation to franchising, SGL provides legal services to both emerging and established franchise companies including:
- Structuring the proposal
- Disclosure documents
- Franchise agreements
- Master franchise agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Intellectual property
- Expansion into foreign countries either by master franchising, direct franchising or joint ventures
We provide franchisors with advice on the proposed structure, we work with franchise consultants and we draft and finalise the required documentation. This documentation will include confidentiality agreement; licence to use trade marks and intellectual property; disclosure document; franchise agreement; franchisee application form and related documents.
We provide specialist and objective advice to franchisees in relation to interpretation of the disclosure document and reading and commenting on the franchise agreement. Our written opinion will include expert advice on the fairness of the franchise agreement, clauses which we consider go too far and missing clauses. Obviously, we do not advise a franchisee where we act for the franchisor for that would be a conflict of interest. SGL can assist in relation to formation of companies, leases and subleases and trusts.
Legal documents are complex and once signed are binding upon both parties. It would be foolish to sign anything without understanding the full implications of what you are signing. Franchisors who belong to the FANZ must refer franchisees to independent lawyers for legal advice. If we act for franchisees we provide that independent legal advice by objectively looking at the franchising documentation.
We work for both franchisors and franchisees. We also provide legal advice on licensing, the purchase and sale of non-franchised businesses and we have considerable expertise in leasing and subleasing. Some of our clients include:
Armstrong Alarms; Bakers Delight; Bedpost; California Burrito; Cleantastic; Cookright; Crust Pizzas; Dents Plus; ERA; Furniture Court; Guthrie Bowron; Hollywood Bakery; Interface Financial Group; Jackson Flooring; Just Cuts; Kitchen Studio; La Porchetta; L.J. Hooker; Lockwood; Megazone; Meticulous Maids; Money Concepts; Ocean Seafood; Pie Face; PoolWerx; The $2 Shop; Top 10 Holiday Parks; Wholly Bagels and Wet Seal New Zealand.
Disputes in franchising can arise and Mediation is an accepted and recommended method of resolving disputes. Stewart Germann is on the Panel of Mediators of the FANZ and is a qualified mediator and a member of LEADR (Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution). He can act as a mediator or as Counsel for a franchisor or franchisee.
Complete the form below to receive more detailed information from Stewart Germann Law Office. We will not share your information with any other third party.